Saturday, June 6, 2009

undersold

They really undersell these macs.

For example, I just noticed when I leaned the display back that it got brighter. I figured it was just an optical illusion having to do with the viewing angle. That can definitely happen. I know because my old laptops all had that condition. When I watched a movie in the dark I would always tilt it just right to get the best picture. But that's not it. I have gone back and forth and back and forth with this thing to figure out what's going on here.

Here's what it is.

The mac automatically senses ambient light and adjusts the screen accordingly. If there is more ambient light you need more light from the screen, and vice versa. So as I tilt the screen back toward the light at the top of the room it gets brighter. When I tilt it back down the backlight subdues. That's really smart. And that feature was nowhere in the marketing.

Just to make sure it was really doing this, I went into a dark place with no lights. My closet. Which is where I'm typing this. No matter how I tilt the screen here the backlight is the same.

Very smart.

And very undersold.

So I guess to all the guys out there saying macs are so expensive, I'm saying you're right. I'm also saying you get what you pay for. Whether or not what you pay for matches up with the marketing.

No comments:

Post a Comment