Friday, May 22, 2009

get the macbook pro, he says

I talked to Greg today about getting the MacBook Pro. He said I should just pull the trigger. And since he's paying for the company expense that it is, why shouldn't I?

I always beat my decisions to death. It's a wonder they don't fight back. Or maybe the fighting back is when they up and make me buy it without fanfare.

But this isn't something I just came to. I have felt increasingly abandoned by the PC industry and user community for some time. I am an old timer. I got my first PC in 1983 (more of that story later). I remember it very well because my dad gave me a choice of getting a car or a computer. I picked a computer. Fateful decision. It probably set in motion this life of a software developer and network engineer that I am still living.

Like I said, this isn't something I just came to. I have run into quite a few smart people over the years in my same industry who used their PC for work but got their work done on their Mac. And I have been watching the the Mac ads for years—I remember with joy the apple.com/switch campaign, which came before the "I'm a mac…and I'm a pc" campaign. And if you want a really great derivative of that, check out the "I'm a Christian…and I'm a Christ follower" campaign on youtube.

Anyway.

The reason I haven't been able to switch to mac yet is because of the PC apps I use. But that's not a problem any more since VMWare Fusion came along. I do 99% of my work between Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and a VMWare image of an OutlookSoft (currently SAP BPC) server environment. And I'm looking forward to doing that same 99% on a MacBook Pro 17.

1 comment:

  1. Steve,
    I went back to Macs after a 1o year break, and like you am still in software development. I spend most of my time coding now rather than trying to figure out why my PC isn't working right, etc. VMWare is great! Development on a Mac is freakin' awesome. The apps out there are great, as are the other nice features that will make the rest of how you use your computer fun again!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete